Welcome to our news and history blog!

Welcome to our news and history blog!

Monday, July 3, 2017

(1919) Ninety Years Old: Stillson Benevolent Society Observes Anniversary in Interesting Way

Source: Greenwich Graphic: May 30, 1919

To celebrate the ninetieth anniversary of the Stillson Benevolent Society, a unique and most interesting reception was held in the Col. Thomas A. Mead homestead, now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Norman T. Reynolds, on West Putnam avenue, last Saturday afternoon. It was in this house, built in 1797, that the society was organized, Mrs. Elizabeth Webb Mead was its first president.

Forty-seven quilts, made by the members of the society, some dating back to 1831, were on exhibition.

Those who served tea in the tea room were Mrs. T. Merritt Mead, Mrs. Frank V. R. Reynolds, Miss Julia B. Mead, Miss Louise Brush, and Miss Emily Close, direct descendants of the first president.

All wore quaint costumes, some of which dated back to the Revolutionary period. The direct descendants of Col. Thomas. Mead, who acted as conductors and hostesses, were Miss Clara Wright, Mrs. Nathaniel Webb, Miss Amelia W. Mead, and Miss Margaret Mead, who also wore costumes of the early period.

Attired in old-fashioned gowns, Mrs. Robert M. Wilcox, took the admission fee at the door. The officers of the society, Mrs. N. M. Hitchcock, Mrs. James R. Mead, Miss Catherine M. Mead, Mrs. Oliver Huckel, and Miss Susan H. Mead acted as a reception committee and they too wore old costumes.

A large number of people were present at the reception, from Greenwich and nearby towns and cities.

Saturday, July 1, 2017

1895: The Hyde Family Re-Union at the Old Mead Homestead on Quaker Ridge

Source: Greenwich Graphic. Saturday, October 26, 1895. Page 1.

Solomon Stoddard Mead


On October 8, the old Mead Homestead, on Quaker Ridge, now the property of Mr. Solomon S. Mead, was the scene of a very interesting family reunion. In a family as large as this one, it would be well-nigh impossible to have all the members present at the same time, so on this occasion only the Hyde branch was there.

After full justice has been done to a most satisfactory luncheon, Dr. Frederick E. Hyde read an interesting paper, suitable to the occasion, from which the following facts are collected:

The founder of the family in this country, John Mead, emigrated from Greenwich, England, about 1630. He settled in Massachusetts, and some years later, with his two sons, John and Joseph, moved into the western part of Connecticut. Joseph died unmarried, leaving John to become the progenitor of all of the name of Mead in this is vicinity, from whence they have spread to all parts of the United States.

The Benjamin Mead House, circa 1728. Photo taken in 2017.

In 1728, one Benjamin Mead, a direct descendent of the original John Mead, came into possession by purchase of a farm of 150 acres in Quaker Ridge, six miles north of the village of Greenwich, and it is an interesting fact that the farm today, after the lapse of 167 years, is exactly the same in size as when purchased. It extends north, south, east and west along the roads which cross in front of the house; north about half a mile, west to the little brook that crosses the road about halfway between the house and old Pickhardt's Mill on Byram River at the foot of "Hard Scrabble" Hill, south to Mr. Rudd's farm, and east down "Dyspepsia Lane" to the blackberry lot and a small stream that flows through the valley. The original dwelling on the property stood between the well, now in front of the house, and the road.

In the first dwelling there was born to Benjamin the purchaser, a second Benjamin, whose children were one son and four daughters, viz., Obadiah, Mary, Theodosia, Anna and Phoebe, all probably born in the old house.

During the Revolutionary War, when the Cowboys and the Tories, who were neighbors for and against the war, had their encounters, and when the British were continually making raids upon the farms and their ships in the Sound, a raid was made a calm this place a raid was made upon this place. The son, Obadiah, hid himself on a neighbor's barn, standing just south of the southeast orchard. Some one of the Tory neighbors, knowing the fact, informed the red-coats who surrounded the barn, threatening to set fire to it and to smoke him out. To escape their clutches, he ran from the barn across the orchard to jump down the rocks to "Dyspepsia Lane." He was followed, however, by the soldiers. Seeing the impossibility of escaping, surrendered. He was then at once shot, the ball passing through his left arm and entering his side, killing him instantly. The coat he wore, showing the bullet holes, which has been so carefully preserved all these years, was inspected by all the company present.

After killing the only son, the miscreants entered the house, demanding of the mother to know where her husband was hidden, as they wanted to do the same to him. They then cut the hopples from the horse that was grazing near by, killing all the geese, and went off, taking horse and geese with them.

The daughter, Theodosia, was married to Edmund Mead of Stanwich, their children were Solomon, Benjamin, Sarah, Obadiah, Ralph, Staats, Polly and Brockholst.

The Obadiah Mead who was shot by the British was a young man and engaged to be married to Charity Mead. His father Benjamin, having now no son, adopted his grandson Obadiah, the son of Edmund and Theodosia of Stanwich, then under 8 years of age, and who was brought to live with the grandparents in the old house down at the corner.

Theodosia's husband, Edmund, desiring to seek his fortune, left home to go west, and was never afterward heard from. Thereupon her father, Benjamin, brought her and all the rest of her children from Stanwich to the old house at the corner.

Of the children of Edmond and Theodosia, Obadiah, the third son, inherited the old farm and his son, Solomon S. Mead, is the present owner. The fourth son, Ralph, had a daughter, Elizabeth, who married Edwin Hyde, and their children, grandchildren and great grandchild were present at this gathering.

When the father of Mr. Solomon S Mead, familiarly known as "Deacon Obadiah" was eight years of age the present house was built; this was in 1793. He enjoyed riding the horse that was his.

The eldest, Mr. Edwin Hyde, in his 84th year, and the youngest, his great grandchild, Ralph Underhill Hyde, in his second year, the son and grandson of a Ralph Mead Hyde.

The party left the old farm about four o'clock and drove down to Port Chester, where they dispersed to their several homes, after spending a most enjoyable day in visiting the many places associated with the happy hours of their childhood, and talking over the many experiences of past years.