Welcome to our news and history blog!

Welcome to our news and history blog!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

House & Garden Magazine (1911) Article on Caleb Mead House

House and Garden Magazine has been around much longer than many people realize -and we include ourselves as surprised!

We recently found via Google Books this link to the Volume 19, 1911 edition. When you click the link the 1796 Mead house that appears will look very familiar. It is located at the intersection of North Street and Taconic Road, with the cemetery across the street.

The article includes some interior photos of the house. Enjoy!

For Sale: Elkanah Mead House (circa 1838) on North Street, Greenwich

We were perusing the Greenwich, Connecticut real estate advertisements the other day. Round Hill Partners has a listing for one of the old family homes, apparently just listed recently. It was built in 1838.

The property is shown on an 1867 map of the town as belonging to Elkanah Mead (there is another home of the same ancestor at the intersection of Stanwich and Guinea roads that is not for sale).

The text of the listing, which we copy and paste here from the Round Hill Partners web site, states:

Poised among the great estates of Greenwich's prime mid-country, this unrestricted landmarked residence is a neo-classic Federal masterpiece. Rich in history, the sophisticated six-bedroom estate with a charming guest cottage has been skillfully delivered into the twenty-first century, blending today's modern amenities with all the stature of its c.1838 origins meticulously preserved. The quintessential Old New England home on 1.59 sculpted, level acres has been exquisitely renovated and expanded into an eclectic experience of grand luxury on a manageable scale.

Enter the stately residence through a columned front porch, introducing the unmistakable period ambiance which continues throughout. Original detail including leaded-glass windows, lavish wood paneling, eight fireplaces, hand-painted walls and wide-board hardwood floors enhances the elegant public rooms and beyond. Each with its own epoch character and handsome detail, the main floor features living room, formal dining room, children's and adults' family rooms, billiard room and paneled library with camouflaged bathroom.

Bathed in natural light, the gourmet kitchen with butler's pantry and oversized breakfast alcove opens through French doors to the rear grounds. White marble on the kitchen floor and counters originated from the old Yale University library, adding yet more intrigue to the home.

The second floor features three beautifully appointed double bedrooms, a laundry room and the master bedroom suite with dual dressing areas, sitting room and fireplace. Perfect for guests or au pair, the third floor is a double bedroom suite with sitting room and bathroom.

Additional amenities include central air-conditioning, in-ground irrigation and security system.

The spectacular property with grand old trees, sweeping lawns, artful stone masonry, flagstone terraces and a heated gunite swimming pool/spa is a magical oasis for memorable entertaining in a year-round naturally private setting. Featured on Greenwich Historical Society's Antiquarius house tour and in House and Garden, this distinguished residence enjoys a perfect location, minutes to town and all transportation.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Photos of Lot and Drake's Corner Cemetery in Greenwich Updated

The Association's online photos of the cemetery at Lot & Drake's Corner (North Street and Taconic Road in Greenwich) has been updated with all gravestones individually featured. Please go to this link to see more.

Update: Who Owned This (Mead?) House

Last November we posed a question about a house featured in a painting. We were contacted by Pitts Yandell whose family owned this home for a number of years. With the help of Greenwich Historical Society researcher Nola Taylor and Anne Young, archivist of the Society's archives, plus a survey using Google Earth the pieces of this puzzle came into place.

Pitts originally thought the house was at the intersection of Stanwich and Taconic roads in backcountry Greenwich. It turns out this house is located at the intersection of Stanwich and Guinea roads south of the Merritt Parkway overpass.

As Nola Taylor wrote:

I looked at 1938 Franklin Map. The road you refer to as “craggy crest road” was called Rocky Craig Road and Guinea Road in Stamford. The name was later changed to Guinea Road. This map shows your family property on Stanwich Road north of Cognewaugh where Rocky Craig/Guinea Road intersects with Stanwich and continues north along Stanwich Road.

The deed research that was done in on the Elkanah Mead House, 411 Stanwich Road when the house was plaqued by HSTG in 1996 as a Signs of the Times house shows that the property was in the Yandell family from 1918 until 1950.

A mystery solved! The painting is of the Elkanah Mead House. Thank you Nola and Pitts!