Daughters of American Revolution Have Bridge Party in Old Mead Homestead on Putnam Ave To Raise Money.
|'Dearfields' illustration from Other Days in Greenwich, by Judge Frederick Hubbard.|
The quaint old knocker on the door, which came from Holland, when the house was built, on which is inscribed the name Richard Mead and the date 1797, the little brass door knob that came also from Holland, and which is as aged as the knocker, have responded many, many times to the hands that have asked admission to a welcome to the famous old house.
These reminders and associates of colonial days could tell many a tale of the passing in and out over that threshold of sad and serious faces, as well as of gay and happy ones, in one hundred and fifteen years.
About eighty ladies accepted the hospitality of the house. They were charmed by its beauty as they wandered about the spacious rooms, admired the old colonial furnishings, and looked with awe at the flint-lock muskets and swords of the Revolutionary war, with other relics of a by gone time.